ADVERTISEMENT

GA Varsity High School Football Talk

May 13, 2021
Find out what some of the top players in the state are saying about football and sports now!

......................................................................................................

Q&A with Dutchtown offensive guard/tackle Caleb Smith
What have you been doing as of late with off-season workouts?
“I have been working out with the team and 3 days out of a week I do 2 a days with my speed and agility trainer Coach Lewis.”

What do you feel you have improved on most since last football season?
“I feel like I have improved in technique, IQ, and speed the most since last season.”

How do you feel your team will do next football season?
“I feel that we as a team will have a great season after bonding all summer. Also I feel like we are young in some places but mighty.”

What team do you feel will be the toughest competition on your schedule?
“The team I feel that would be the most competitive on our schedule would be Langston Hughes.”

Who is the toughest individual player your team will face off against?
“I think the toughest individual player my team will face would be Bo Walker at StockBridge.”

......................................................................................................
Q&A with Ware County infielder/wide receiver Cole Cox
“I’ve been playing baseball on the weekends and golfing after workouts.”

What do you feel you have improved on most this off-season?
“I feel like my strength and speed has really improved over the off season.”

How do you feel your team will do this football season?
“I feel like we will do great this season, championship or nothing.”

“I feel like either Coffee, Benedictine, Warner Robins, and Perry will be our toughest teams to play against.”

“I’m not really aware of the individual players we’re against.”

Q&A with South Gwinnett running back Eric Ramey lll
“Working, getting better.”

“Speed and strength.”

“Depends on how far I can carry them. I say 8-2 record.”

“Grayson- my brother on [the] defensive line.”

“Tyler Aikenson / Grayson.”

Q&A with Miller County tight end Tanner Mock
“I work out every morning at 5:30am, then go to practice and train after work, also once or twice a week I train in Tallahassee with Coach Travis Norton.”

“I have become more of a leader, and improved on being a teammate and [as for] the football part of it, it is my route running.”

“I feel great about my team. We have the best coach in the State, Coach Tom Causey, and excellent players in our 2025 class such as Ga Tech RB commit JP Powell and great college players in the future such as Stanley Shepard, Tyler Thornton, Jimmy McIntyre, Jay McCray, TJ Grant. With this 2025 class and great coach we can go very far, nothing short of a State Championship.”

“I haven’t really thought about our toughest opponent; Clinch County is always a good team and will have a great battle against us.”

“There isn’t a specific player.”

Q&A with Decatur defensive lineman Marquavious Tyree Hood
“Over the last 6 months my teammates and I have been participating in morning workouts. With guidance from the coaching staff, our workouts consist of lifting in the weight room, whole body conditioning, and currently we are installing all three phases of the game. Our coaching staff has also implemented a dietary regiment which consists of them feeding us 2 times a day. We have had a few 7 on 7 and a 1 on 1 big man challenge. I also have been doing workouts with friends in the afternoon and a trainer.”

“During this off season I feel I have worked most on my leadership skills with coaching up my younger teammates. I also am becoming more versatile in my pass rush skills. I have also increased my bench max from 270 to 345 and my squat max from 450 to 525.”

“During this football season, I feel we should make a great run. We have learned and improved a lot from last season and we have a lot of players returning who know what it means to make it deep into the playoffs and to win. I feel we have a challenging schedule ahead of us. Every opponent gives us another opportunity to go 1-0.”

“This year, I feel that our toughest competition will be Woodward Academy. Every team brings different challenges but I believe Woodward is our toughest competition.”

“The d'lineman from Stephenson.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.